Relationship Counselling | 3 Simple Methods to Improve Your Relationships
Relationships are vital. In fact, the quality of your life is impacted by the quality of the relationships you have with friends, family, coworkers, or your partner. Everything in your life, from your emotional and physical well being to the environment at your job are all impacted by the quality of your relationships.
As such, if you’re having difficulty with this all-encompassing aspect of your life, help is available. At the Family Psychology Place, we offer relationship counselling services to those struggling with this challenging and complex area of life. Keep reading to learn more.
Counselling for Relationships
Relationship counselling is a form of psychotherapy that helps people improve the quality of their relationships. With the assistance of a trained and accredited therapist, people can delve into the issues impacting their various relationships, strengthen their own communication skills, and ultimately, clear up any unresolved issues, conflicts, or disputes.
Typically, relationship counselling is used to resolve problems. However, it can also be utilized for people who already have healthy, loving relationships to further strengthen the quality of those relationships.
Who Can Benefit From Relationship Counselling?
Anyone who is either struggling in a relationship or who feels their relationships could improvecan benefit from having a psychologist teach and/or refine the skills that go into an effective relationship. Whether someone is struggling with communicating their needs effectively to a spouse or colleague, whether you are struggling to come to an agreement about parenting, the future, or the day to day issues that impact any relationship, or whether you feel your interactions with your loved ones are combative or negative, you can benefit from relationship counselling.
Additional benefits of relationship counselling can include:
- Enhanced self-awareness
- Individual growth
- Deeper and stronger connections
- Clarification of the other person’s needs as well as your own
- More trust
- Improved overall quality of life
Essentially, if you are having trouble with your relationships – in any capacity – or even if they’re already good, but you want to improve them a bit more; then relationship counselling is for you.
How Relationship Issues Are Treated
There are a myriad of ways in which your specific relationship issue can be treated. The exact method will be dependent on what exactly the issue is, as well as the outcome you’re looking to attain.
Here are a couple treatment options that are available here at the Family Psychology Place:
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT): A practical and pragmatic therapeutic method that assists you with understanding the way your actions affect others. Moreover, EFT will also teach you the nuances of how your feelings and emotions become major influences in the quality of your interactions. As such, you’ll learn to trust your feelings, and share them in a manner that allows for deeper connections to form instead of hostility and aggression.
- Gottman’s Couples Therapy: This form of therapy teaches you unique strategies for developing deeper levels of rapport to strengthen bonds. You’ll also learn how to encourage each other’s goals and ambitions, as well as better handle disputes and disagreements.
Relationships are an essential part of life. We need each other. For this reason, if you feel your relationships would benefit from a change be sure to ask for help. At the Family Psychology Place, we are the largest private psychology clinic in western Canada.
As such, we house many seasoned psychologists who specialize in various therapeutic practices. This means that regardless of what you’re struggling with, the Family Psychology Place can help. Contact us today to learn more.