Substance Use, Addictions
Do you find yourself constantly using a substance or behaving in a certain way that is negatively affecting your life, relationships, plus physical and emotional health? Do you realize you have an addiction but keep the cycle continuing? Come get treated at The Family Psychology Place where we can help you find a way off your destructive path.
Substance abuse affects each person differently depending on your age and gender, type of substance such as tobacco or alcohol and context such as how much you use or act on this.
Substance abuse and addiction can manifest as a result of particular personality traits. A personality and behaviour assessment might discover that you are impulsive. A low score on harm-avoidance might mean you are more likely to have addictive behaviour. If you have an addiction to something such as gambling, you might also have a substance abuse problem.
What are some substances and behaviours you can be addicted to?
Children might want to push the boundaries and act out in the form of using a substance. Speak to your kids about the risks that come with certain substances and actions. We all have some sort of addiction but we must ask ourselves if it has become a craving we cannot avoid. If the answer is yes, this is the point where we need to seek help.
Here are some signs your child might have substance use or an addiction problem:
- Temper tantrums
- Drop in grades at school
- Irregular heartbeat
Here are some signs you might have an addiction or substance use issue:
- Feeling irritable
- Satisfying your addiction in secret or when alone
- Repeated, unsuccessful quitting attempts
- Feeling desperate if unable to satisfy your urge
- Obsession or preoccupation with the behaviour or substance you are craving
If you are continuously seeking unhealthy urges, come get treated instead of trying to push it away or give in to your addiction. You might need help to get here but you can do it.
- Behaviour Therapy: You learn new conditions and ways to handle your urges and over time, you will be able to overcome your problem.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): You are taught to recognize your thoughts, moods, and situations that trigger your urges so you can learn to avoid them and stay healthy.
- Existential Therapy: Our therapists will help you see that your past does not define you and you can have a positive future. By seeing this, you can make healthy choices that are right for your life.
Our psychologists help you overcome your addiction so you can lead a healthy life. Go out and enjoy time at the parks with your children, travel the world and take in new cultures, or sign up for those dance lessons you have been waiting to try out. Your new healthy addictions will save your life!
If you have thoughts of suicide, which is another sign of depression, then you should immediately contact a mental health professional. We are here to help you get through the darkness and find positivity in your life.
Symptoms of depression might differ depending on your age. Seniors might not want to talk about their feelings and may lose interest in normally pleasurable activities. Children may pretend to be sick, cling to a parent, or worry they may die. Children might also act out and get in trouble at school or feel misunderstood. It can help to open up and talk to your loved ones, so they can help you get through tough times.
We work with you to find the right psychologist for you, the one with whom you feel most at ease with and connected to. Don’t diagnose yourself; come see us if you feel your symptoms may relate in any way to depression.